Friday 27 April 2012

Philip Bannister's Work

Image found at: http://www.illustrationweb.com/artists/PhilipBannister (Accessed: 27 April 2012)
He is a traditional artist, most of his work being portraits and cityscapes. What I really like about him is the technique he developed and his use of lines and color.  When you look at his portraits, they look so delicate and detailed, compared to his cityscapes, which are mostly detailed on certain areas, and he is specifically using colors to highlight those areas. I appreciate the most his style, it interests me very much, because myself I am a very big fan of drawing portraits, and I would love to find it that easy as he does to paint portraits like that with watercolors, to find that freedom when you put the brush on the paper and just trust your instinct, especially when it comes to colors. I sometimes find it difficult to match the colors on my painting with the ones in the reference picture I use, and I can see in Bannister’s  that spark in every color he uses, it seems the right amount on each corner of the piece, and always the right contrast. I think that his illustrations don’t go outside the box, but his works are the perfect example of well executed traditional paintings.
Image found at: http://www.philip-bannister.co.uk/images/homepage/WHSmith.jpg (Accessed: 27 April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment